13 June 2011

Energy Reserve versus Energy Resource

There is something that's been bothering me for quite some time nowthe difference between energy reserve and energy resource.

Based on my Internet (mostly Google) searches, an energy resource is energy source that is already discovered but has not been used. I figured that based on its name "reserve," it is exactly thata reserve. Energy that is being saved for future use perhaps? Something that can be extracted and used at a later time. Whereas energy resource is energy source that is readily available and can be used immediately.

Basically, my interpretation on the above definitions is that an energy source is considered to be a reserve if it has been discovered to be existing but never been used. For example, the vast oil reserves in Middle East countries. But once extraction has been done on a reserve for the purpose of energy generation, it then becomes a resource.

 Update: As of 2:42 pm, same date as the original post, upon more online research, I arrived at this article "Reserves and Resources: A Primer for the Lay Investor." While I still find myself feeling a little confused, this clarifies some matters for me.

Disclaimer: This post about energy reserve and energy resource is based purely on the blogger's (that's me) personal opinion and interpretation. I do not claim any of the information to be an accurate fact.

Sources:
Energy Resources on IFPEC
A Guide to Oil Reserves and Resources

No comments:

Post a Comment