17 June 2011

Crafting: Felt

I want to believe that I was born crafty. When I was a little girl, I used to cut paper dolls and design their clothes. There was a time when I asked my great grandmother to teach me how to do crochet. During my teens, I made a few crochet pieces for our house. I also used to "re-design" or "re-style" my clothes back then. Like those old jeans that I don't wear anymore; I used to cut them up and add embellishments to make them look a bit tattered and old. Don't judge me, those were the days when tattered jeans were the in fashion.

So I came from (as my mom used to say) ruining my clothes to re-styling them in order to make them look more updated, if that's even possible. But through it all I can't really say I've found that particular crafting style that I liked best. There was nothing that spiked my interest more than the rest. I liked crocheting but over the years I found that I only finish those small and quick projects. It kind of bored me to spend long hours making a particularly complicated piece. I tried working with beads and wires as well, but to no considerable success.

During the time when I've completely put all the crafting stuffs behind me, I accidentally came across a rather interesting craft material. And that is felt. I can't really describe what it did to me. It's like love at first sight. I've always had a thing for sewing (I used to watch my grandmother work with her old Singer sewing machine, which I love the sound of). Having done cross stitch and embroidery when I was young, I started to experiment with felt. I went online and searched for possible projects I can make with felt. And that's when my penchant for felting started.

I consider myself as a "seasoned" crafter. I do crafts usually only when I feel like it. I've done a couple felt projects and I wanted to share them here; hence, the label for felt crafts.

No comments:

Post a Comment