17 February 2011

Valentimes, Valentines, or Valentine

I've been cringing every single time I read/hear anyone say "Valentines" since Monday this week, which basically means I've been cringing for nearly a week now. No, I'm not being bitter or anything. I've been trying to keep myself from making a comment since I don't want to ruin anyone's sweet day.

First of all, let's walk back to the time when people used to say VALENTIMES! Seriously, where did that come from? Have people gone deaf or anything? I know we are constantly reminded of the sweet occasion every February; there are movies, songs, poems, etc. all about the Valentine season. We can't just run away from it even if we tried. So I am wondering why? Why can't some people  take note of the CORRECT spelling???Is it that hard to do? I think not!


Anyway, fast forward to the present, and we have almost (but not quite there yet) eliminated the extensive and irritating use of the term VALENTIMES. But we can't just get it right do we? Moving on from Valentimes, we now get to the VALENTINES part.

Even well-educated people are caught using
the horrendous term "Valentines."
This part is a bit long so let's make a whole new paragraph for it.

Anyone who has moved past elementary knows how to use punctuations, and anyone who has moved past high school knows the different forms of possession in grammar. Most specially, anyone who is fond of bedtime stories, love stories, or just hearsays knows who Saint Valentine is. With all these backgrounds, why do we still hear other people say VALENTINES! Technically, February 14 is Saint Valentine's Day. It's the feast day of Saint Valentine. (I don't know how else I can stress this point.) According to Catholic Online, Saint Valentine is the patron saint of affianced couples, bee keepers, engaged couples, epilepsy, fainting, greetings, happy marriages, love, lovers, plague, travelers, and young people. At present, Valentine's Day is simply the celebration of love.

Once again, it's VALENTINE'S DAY! It's simply VALENTINE without the "S" if being referred to as a noun. Once and for all, let's take note of the correct term, shall we?

PS. For further reading on St. Valentine, visit Catholic Online.

No comments:

Post a Comment